View Big Bend Visitors Info in a larger map
I’ve been driving out from Fort Worth and spending time in the Big Bend Region of West Texas (Alpine, Marfa and Fort Davis) since 1991. This is my travel guide to the Big Bend which includes the best restaurants, hotels, bars and area attractions. This travel guide it a pretty good itinerary if you are traveling to West Texas from the east, cities like Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, Houston or Austin.
- Head to Del Rio, it about 400 Miles from Fort Worth, the best place to stay is Hampton Inn.
- You can take Hwy 90 to Marathon, it’s about 150 miles.
- On the way you can see Lake Amistad and Seminole Canyon State Park. Seminole Canyon has some great cave paintings.
- Staying and dining at the Gage Hotel in Marathon is an option.
- From Marathon head south on 385 to Big Bend National Park, Make sure you go up the basin. You can also go over to Boquillas but check the times to make sure the crossing is open.
- From Panther Junction in Big Bend take 118 to Study Butte.|
- From Study Butte you can either go up to Alpine or staying at Lajitas is an option. Lajitas is nice in the winter.
- Go by the Starlight Theatre in Terlingua. They have food and music.
- Lajitas is really nice in the fall and spring with he nicest Golf Course in the Big Bend.
- From Lajitas go to Presidio on the river road.
- From Presidio head toward Marfa. Staying at Cibolo Creek is an option.
From Marfa head to Fort Davis and take the loop road (TX-166 to TX-118) prior to getting to Fort Davis. Make sure you take a picture of Sawtooth and you’ll end up at the McDonald Observatory
From McDonald Observatory head to Fort Davis
- Fort Davis
From Fort Davis you can come to Alpine.
Head up to Balmorea, you might want to go by the Balmorea State park/springs and head back to Fort Worth.
Here’s a link http://g.co/maps/evfas
Texas Cowboy Poetry Gathering March 2 & 3, 2018